As was the case with the previous film we again get to see 26 short films by 26 directors from around the world. Each director was given a letter of the alphabet and asked to choose a word. They then created a short tale of death that related to their chosen word. They had complete artistic freedom regarding the content of their segments.
This time every segment starts and finishes with something black in the frame (as apposed to red in the first anthology).
All though the second ABCs of Death was better received I must admit I like the first one better. It had more completely outrageous segments, whereas the second compilation has too many tame or silly ones. Most of the directors are young, some have only made a few short films or have one or two features under their belt.
There are a couple of more seasoned directors such as the famous animator Bill Plympton (I Married a Strange Person!, 1997 and Hair High, 2004) and Larry Fessenden (an all rounder whose films No Telling, 1991 and Habit, 1995 can be seen regularly on Sundance Channel).
The first three short films Amateur, Badger and Capital Punishment are British segments, especially the first two are very funny and get the film of to a good start and Capital Punishment gets some first real horrific images on the screen.
My favourite segments were Equilibrium where 2 friends are stranded on a desert island when suddenly a beautiful woman washes ashore which results in some priorities that need to be set straight, and Xylophone that starts with a grandmother wathcing her granddaughter play the xylophone and ends with the grandmother playing a ‘similar instrument’.
A few of the directors have already made excellent features and are to be kept on eye in the future such as Kristina Buožytė whose Aurora (a.k.a. Vanishing Waves, 2012) was one of THE surprises of that year, and the Israeli duo Aharon Keshales & Navot Papushado of the interesting Kalevet (a.k.a. Rabies, 2010) and Big Bad Wolves (2013) which was highly recommended by Quentin Tarantino.
Below you can find the full list of titles and directors of the second ABCs of Death anthology:
- A is for Amateur (directed by E.L. Katz)
- B is for Badger (directed by Jullian Barratt)
- C is for Capital Punishment (directed by Julian Gilbey)
- D is for Deloused (directed by Robert Morgan)
- E is for Equilibrium (directed by Alejandro Brugués)
- F is for Falling (directed by Aharon Keshales and Navot Papushado)
- G is for Grandad (directed by Jim Hosting)
- H is for Head Games (directed by Bill Plympton)
- I is for Invincible (directed by Erik Matti)
- J is for Jesus (directed by Dennison Ramalho)
- K is for Knell (directed by Kristina Buožytė and Bruno Samper)
- L is for Legacy (directed by Lancelot Oduwa Imasuen)
- M is for Masticate (directed by Robert Boocheck)
- N is for Nexus (directed by Larry Fassenden)
- O is for Ochlocracy (mob rule) (directed by Hajime Ohata)
- P is for P-P-P-P SCARY! (directed by Todd Rohal )
- Q is for Questionnaire (directed by Rodney Ascher)
- R is for Roulette (directed by Marvin Kren)
- S is for Split (directed by Juan Martinez Moreno)
- T is for Torture Porn (directed by Jan and Sylvia Soska)
- U is for Utopia (directed by Vincenzo Natali)
- V is for Vacation (directed by Jerome Sable)
- W is for Wish (directed by Steven Kostanski)
- X is for Xylophone (directed by Julien Maury and Alexandre Bustillo)
- Y is for Youth (directed by Soichi Umezawa)
- Z is for Zygote (directed by Chris Nash)